Sabudana Khichdi is a dish commonly made during the fasting season of Ekadashi, Navratri or Mahashivaratri. Sago/tapiocal pearls khichdi recipe is very easy.
1 cup sabudana
1 cup water to soak
1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium potato
2 tablespoons raw peanuts
1-2 green chili
6-7 curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt (sendha namak)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 lemon juice
1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- Rinse sabudana under water, until it is plain. This is important to get rid of the starch all over.
- Shift the rinsed sabudana to a large saucepan and add 1 cup of water. No-one else.
- The sabudana must have soaked up all the water. Yet you also need a colander to rinse it, only to get rid of the hot vapor.
- Place a pearl between your thumb and index finger and I to test if sabudana is ready to cook.
- At medium heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds once the oil is hot, and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Then add the diced potatoes and cook, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are nearly cooked. It is important to dice the small potatoes here so that they cook quickly.
- Add the raw peanuts, and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Then add the curry leaves and simmer for another 1 minute.
- Add the drained sabudana, salt and sugar, to the pan. Mix well.
- Cook until most sabudana pearls are translucent, stirring once or twice for a few minutes. Do not cook it for a long time or it will get oily.
- Take pan off fire. Add coriander leaves and lemon juice and mix well.